As you already know, you don’t need to be a professional IT engineer or IT geek to make a bootable USB Device. This method is valid if you have installed Windows 7 on your computer. You cannot do this using other version of Windows.
I will not insist on the file sources (from where you have them). I will try to explain as good as I can how to make the device bootable.
1. Get the Windows ISO files on your computer hard drive (even if you copy your Windows KIT).
2. Insert your USB drive in your pc, press the start button and in the search field write CMD. Right click on the first result (the one with the black icon) and select from the new opened menu selection “Run As Administrator”. A black window will appear, called “command prompt”. Now you should type the next commands one by one:
SELECT DISK # (where # is the disk number – make sure you select the correct disk, check the disk size and make sure it’s the correct one).
CLEAN (it will erase your disk, so please make sure you have selected the correct disk at the previous entered command).
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
SELECT PARTITION 1
FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK (will format the disk using NTFS tables lightning fast 🙂
3. When the format is done, write the following command:
- ASSIGN (the system will give a letter to your newly created bootable USB device).
EXIT (it will exit the disk part program which helped you to create your bootable device).
4. At this point you should make the usb drive really bootable. Go to your previously saved kit and find the boot folder where you should locate the bootsect file.
5. In this case, i had to give the following command: CD e:\”win 7 sp1\boot” and after that E:. After that I had to type bootsect.exe/nt60 h: (where H is the drive letter)
When this step has been completed, you should be able to boot from your USB device like a pro !